Iran Threatens U.S. Base After Trump’s Ultimatum—Is War Coming?

BERK CAN
BERK CAN

Tensions between Washington and Tehran are hitting a boiling point as Iran reportedly considers a missile strike on a key U.S. base in the Indian Ocean — a provocative escalation following President Trump’s warning of “bombing like you’ve never seen before.”

According to The Telegraph, senior Iranian military leaders are urging strikes on Diego Garcia, a British-owned island that houses a major joint U.S.-UK air base. This comes after U.S. B-2 Spirit bombers — stealth aircraft capable of delivering nuclear payloads — were spotted deployed there last week.

An Iranian official told The Telegraph that commanders are weighing a preemptive strike to signal that Iran is “serious” in the face of Trump’s threats. Iranian state media has been openly speculating about Diego Garcia as a likely launchpad for any U.S. military action against their fortified nuclear sites.

This marks a dramatic escalation following Trump’s demand over the weekend that Iran return to the negotiating table or face consequences. While speaking aboard Air Force One, Trump made clear he preferred diplomacy but was prepared to act militarily if necessary.

Iran has since raised its missile forces to high alert. A commander from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned the U.S. is “sitting in a glass house,” referencing America’s widespread troop presence across ten regional bases. Others in Iran’s leadership have even floated the idea of launching missiles into the ocean near Diego Garcia as a show of strength.

The base itself is strategically vital to the United States. Diego Garcia supports the full range of America’s long-range bombers — including the B-1, B-2, and B-52 — and serves as a key node for operations across the Middle East, South Asia, and Africa.

On Monday, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei escalated the rhetoric further, declaring that if the U.S. or Israel engages in any “mischief,” they would face a “reciprocal blow.” The warning follows Iran’s rejection of a letter from Trump seeking direct talks over a new nuclear deal.

Meanwhile, Iran’s state-run media and senior officials have been openly threatening Trump himself, resurrecting the regime’s obsession with avenging the death of Qassem Soleimani, the IRGC terror chief killed by a U.S. drone strike in 2020. Last month, an Iranian lawmaker declared that he would “not hesitate” to assassinate Trump — a statement echoed by state-run outlets calling it a “duty” of Iran’s leadership.

Despite these threats, the White House insists Trump remains open to negotiations, even as Iran barrels toward nuclear breakout capacity. The President said Iran is “too close” to building a bomb — a situation he says wouldn’t exist had the 2020 election gone differently.

With nuclear weapons, terrorist proxies, and assassination threats in play, the stakes couldn’t be higher. Trump may be extending a hand — but he’s keeping the hammer ready.